Jeanie,
I never had a sore throat like this.  Usually for me they last 2 days and then
go into some other form of torture (nasal congestion, cough, etc.).  This is
the 6th day of sore throat and it is still raw.  How do these bugs find us?  So
sorry you had to miss part of your vacation and hope you recover enough to
enjoy the mountains.  Sounds like a great place with great people.
           Joyce IL