CMSTSO Pipelines Discussion List <CMS-PIPELINES@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on
07/13/2015 12:57:26 PM:

> From: Alan Altmark/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS
> To: CMS-PIPELINES@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 07/13/2015 12:57 PM
> Subject: Re: Pipe Hostid issue
> Sent by: CMSTSO Pipelines Discussion List <CMS-PIPELINES@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> On Monday, 07/13/2015 at 02:38 EDT, Bob Cronin <bob.cro...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks all for the pointer to PROFILE TCPIP. Seems there's some ongoing
> > project to add a second stack and for some reason they added the
> > non-routable 192.168.x.x address as the first one. I'm hoping they can
> move
> > it. Thanks also to Mike Harding who contacted me offline and schooled
me
> > about the NETSTAT HOME command.
>
> If they just add the PrimaryInterface statement, they don't need to worry
> about the order.  The problem with NETSTAT HOME is that you still don't
> know which interface is primary.
>
> And I should point out that the intent of (GET)HOSTID is not to return an
> IP address, but to return a 32-bit number that uniquely identifies a
host.
>  It turns out that a routable IPv4 address is a pretty good
approximation.

> Alan Altmark
>
> Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
> Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
> IBM Systems & Technology Group
> ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
> office: 607.429.3323
> mobile; 607.321.7556
> alan_altm...@us.ibm.com
> IBM Endicott

This bit got me thinking - and playing.

Interestingly, on one of our internal "jumbo" systems where the host
returned by IDENTIFY will vary depending on one's cpuid as set up in the
directory, the output from the socket(getname) call agrees with identify in
the caller's machjne, while the pipe hostname stage returns what the stack
sees.

--
Mike Harding
z/VM System Support