The CMS Commands and Utilities Reference Appendix "Customizing Profiles for CMS
Productivity Aids" lists 10 profiles (plus 4 just for FILELIST) that can be
seen with the CMS command DEFAULTS and can be overridden with "DEFAULTS SET
xxxxxxxx PROFILE newprof" (where "xxxxxxxx" is an EXEC Fn from the list such as
DIRLIST or RDRLIST, for FILELIST "PROFILE" might instead be "PROFILEn" where
n=[2|3|4], and "newprof" is an XEDIT file).  (For reference, the EXEC Fn list
is: Alialist , Authlist , Csllist , Cslmap , Dirlist , Filelist , Maclist ,
Note , Peek , Rdrlist , Vmlink .)

I would like to make these overrides more portable: one XEDIT file instead of
multiples.

Of course doing so means the converged file will need to be able to determine
who he's supposed to be each time when called (unless I only use changes that
blanket ALL included profiles, which I would rather not do).

I have found a partial solution to do so, but I am not happy with it.

The "solution" is:

'PIPE REXXVARS 1',

'| DROP 1',

'| NFIND v',

'| SPECS w2 1',

'| ALL /FILELIST/ ! /DIRLIST/ ! /RDRLIST/ ! /PEEK/',

'| VAR TARPROF'

(So, currently only checking the calling program for the existence of
variables: "FILELIST", "DIRLIST", "RDRLIST", and "PEEK".  Then setting value of
"TARPROF" to the name of the variable found, before doing a SELECT structure
with "TARPROF".)

Because the EXEC from the list checks for its DEFAULTS profile setting via:
'GLOBALV SELECT $'"USERID"() 'GET xxxxxxxx' , where "xxxxxxxx" = EXEC Fn from
the list and sets a variable with the same EXEC Fn.

The problem is:

PEEK EXEC sets BOTH variable PEEK and NOTE , so I can't have both PEEK /
PROFPEEK  and  NOTE / PROFNOTE in the same converged file using this single
method.

(Otherwise the "solution" works for the 4 profiles I'm currently working with.)

Eventually, I may even wish to combine this file with my PROFILE XEDIT as well,
if possible.

Any ideas?

Shawn Stanislawski
HPE - VM Capability