Would someone please explain to me the internal mechanism(s) behind why the
following causes an error?

PIPE LITERAL PICKLES CAKE | SPLIT | A: DROP 1 | SPEC /CHEESE/ 1 W1 N | A:
FANINANY | CONSOLE

"

Label A is already declared

... Scan at position 70; previous data "CHEESE/ 1 W1 N | A:"

Ready (-0047); T=0.01/0.01 11:44:14
"

With regard to streams, the DROP stage has a Primary Input, Primary Output, and
one optional Secondary Output.  Therefore, a connected Secondary stream could
only be an Output.

With regard to streams, the FANINANY stage has a Primary Input, Primary Output,
and any number of optional Secondary Inputs.   Therefore,  a connected
Secondary stream could only be an Input.

I'm aware I can make this work by utilizing multistreaming, such as below, but
I am curious why unambiguous connections are not tolerated.
PIPE (end ?) LITERAL PICKLES CAKE | SPLIT | A: DROP 1 | SPEC /CHEESE/ 1 W1 N |
B: FANINANY | CONSOLE ?A: | B:

To be clear: I am not attempting to advocate for unambiguous connections to be
tolerated, I am merely curious about the current mechanism(s) in play.

Best regards,
Shawn S.