On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 at 21:29, Glenn Knickerbocker <n...@bestweb.net> wrote:

> Figuring out the reasonable assumptions to make to make that decision is
> the biggest part of what I meant by "getting it right."

Yes, I think we all realized the ambiguity. I was considering these
alternatives (with preference for the first one)
- line end is any unique sequence of the specified characters, so if you
specify the CR and LF as candidate, then CR, LF, CR LF, and LF CR are all
one single end of line, but CR CR would imply a null line between (like CR
LF LF)
- the first string of characters from that set is taken as the line end
sequence, until eof. So when you start with a bare CR then the next CR will
cause LF to be the start of a new line.

Rob