Rick,

I may take on the same project on my '73 25 Mk1 next spring.  According to A&H
what I have is the "old style" XR200, which is a 20" square hatch.  My existing
hatch doesn't leak, not under the frame, not under the acrylic  But the acrylic
is badly crazed and the latches (threaded knobs) are missing.  Replacement
hardware is no longer available for this hatch, and I've had no luck at marine
consignment shops after 5 years of looking.  I've jury-rigged some latches.  So
I guess you could say this project is primarily to improve the appearance of
the hatch.

I recently salvaged '74 25 Mk1 hull #301 and took the hatch among other things.
 My experience was the same: screws came out easily, frame required some prying
with a putty knife, sealant appeared to be butyl.  According to A&H this is the
newer style XR200.  As you said below the different generations of A&H hatches
don't use the same hardware, hinges or frame.  A&H even said there is a 1/8" or
1/4" difference in the overall size.

The hatch from the salvage boat is complete with all the hardware, but the
acrylic is badly crazed.  On this hatch, the acrylic is screwed to the frame in
8 places.  I assume this is a previous acrylic replacement.  There is also
evidence it leaked under the acrylic as a previous owner applied lots of
additional sealant.

I've got quotes from Select Plastics and Hammerhead Nautical to refurb the
salvage hatch, or should I say, to replace the acrylic.  Has anyone attempted
to reanodize or paint the frame?

What was your experience reinstalling the frame?  On the salvage boat the frame
screws came out easily.  I suspect they were screwed directly into a soggy
balsa core.  If it's the same on my boat, I'm thinking I may have to do a core
repair before I can reinstall the hatch.  (I replaced the chainplates last year
and that turned into a significant core repair.)  Did you have to do a core
repair?  Did you fill the existing holes and drill new ones?  Is thru-bolting
an option?  I'm concerned I may not get enough compression on the seal without
thru-bolts.

If it wasn't for the missing hardware, I'd keep the existing hatch and replace
the acrylic - either on the boat or by just removing the top of the hatch at
the hinge

Mark