Joel,
Is this the SI-TEX unit that you were looking at?
http://www.si-tex.com/index.php/product-information/ais/sas-300-ais-class-b-ais-transceiver-detail

Although I don't have any of their hardware, I like the SI-TEX brand. They
seem to occupy the "value" space. Value, like free wind, = good.  :-)

Full disclosure: I'm just a day-sailor who rarely ventures outside the
mouth of the St Johns River in Florida. Despite this, I bought an MilTech
AIS receiver 6 or 7 years ago because I thought it was really cool and
relatively inexpensive. It once picked up the signal from an old tugboat in
for repairs at Green Cove Springs. w00t.

As for AIS (receivers), do folks think that a radar-like display of
approaching targets is OK or even perhaps optimal?
Or, is it be important to be able to put the nearby boats in the context of
a chart?

I know that many chart-plotters can interpret and display AIS data and
predict potential collisions. But, might this be a good case for having a
standalone unit, dedicated for nearby "situational awareness" - kinda like
radar I suppose. Probably depends upon one's situation.  :-)

Bob M
Ox 33-1
Jax, FL