This may be obvious to some but did not occur to me until I woke up this
morning.

Earlier in the week I was unable to perform the ultimate ignition test,
that of observing a spark at the tip of the plug while the starter was
turning.There was nobody at the dock to press the starter button and I
didn't want to try wiring some sort of bypass. All of the other ignition
troubleshooting could be done singlehanded.

I should've used my cellphone to video the plug tip while I was in the
cockpit pushing the starter button.  D'uh

Bob M
Ox 33-1
Jax, FL