If I recall correctly that repair or rebuild job on a 33-2 could involve a
little more than a simple mast step rebuild, as if any mast step rebuild
were a simple thing to do in the first place.  I recall reading an account
from one contributor on this list who reported first hand about exactly that
repair on a 33-2 and I seem to recall that more extensive work was involved
and that one could expect to spend in the neighbourhood of $20,000 to have
the job done properly.  That said, the 33-2 is a beautiful design that has
good speed potential and sails very well to weather but the very issue that
Andrew has raised was a major concern when I chose to pass on a 33-2 in
favour of a boat that was 10 years older,  my C&C 35 MKII that I have now
sailed very happily for nearly 10 years now with no structural issues.
Alianna is now in her 39th year and going strong and looking good.  All
sailboats require some regular upkeep and repair but probably most would
agree that structural integrity in the mast step / keel sump is a very high
priority issue.

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35 MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS