Hi Steve,
When I got my boat she didn't have a pulpit. The lifelines terminated to an inverted "U" shape stanchion arrangement on each side. The side units are not entirely uncommon, for the day and allowed the jib to be brought inside the lifelines nicely. There were bases where the old pulpit was but It was probably let go because of the assy spinnaker.

After six years of cruising I've haven't had the desire to reinstate the pulpit. PM me if you want pics.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1