Your collective advice was to replace the shift cable (and throttle cable as
well) so I have proceeded to try to do that but have run into another problem.
Following the directions on the Edson website, I delved into the pedestal,
moved the throttle cable to the port side, unscrewed the cable clamp from the
pedestal housing and then tried to pull the cables up to gain access to the
clamp.  As the directions suggested, this was difficult to do, as the clamp
gets jammed against the steering chain.  Cranking the wheel from port to
starboard helped, as they suggested, but not enough.  So the next advice was to
loosen the steering cable (what a PITA!) so I could lift the chain over the
sprocket teeth and forward up to the wheel brake.  That helped also, but still
not enough.  I think the trouble is that the cable clamp is made for 3 cables,
not two, so the part without a cable in it still gets jammed under part of the
pedestal casting, and I cannot get it out.
  How to proceed? Advice needed!  One thought is to unbolt the pedestal from
the cockpit floor and tip it over so I can pull the cables with the clamp out
the bottom of the pedestal.  Of course the chain/cables will need to be a lot
looser than they are now, and I hesitate to disconnect the cables from the
quadrant completely.  Maybe as they are already loose (from loosening the nuts
on the eyebolt), I could pop the cable off one of the sheaves that the cable
runs over, and perhaps that would loosen the cable sufficiently that I could
tip the pedestal over.  But before I try something like that, it would be great
if I could get some further input from the list.  Would hate to do something
that made a big repair necessary.

Thanks!

Eric
C&C 35 MkII