Gary,

You are right about the above deck furler.  I'm in the Gulf Yachting
Association (gya.org) Here's the rule:

"The PHRF committee may allow +6 seconds per mile in rating for a roller
furling headsail and +12 seconds for an optional IN-MAST roller furling
mainsail. Boats must have a SA/DSPL less than 20.01 and an inboard or
saildrive (non-retractable) engine to be eligible for credit(s). The
attached form must be submitted to receive this credit.

1. Uses a working roller furling headsail attached to an above deck mounted
roller furling system. Roller furling headsails must be tacked above the
drum and may be interchangeable with other working roller furling headsails
while racing. Possible +6 seconds!

2. Uses an optional working Roller Furling in-mast mainsail, which may have
no more than 5 vertical battens and that the roach of the sail does not
extend past the backstay (or a line from the top of the mast to the deck
edge of the transom if a back stay is not standard on the boat) and is
furled vertically by rolling rather than flaking. Possible +12 seconds!

3. For the Roller Furling Headsail credit the boat must have a sail
area/displacement of less than 20.01. This value (SA/DSPL) is based on the
following formula: SA/DSPL = SA / (DSPL/64)^2/3.

Sail area and displacement values will be based on the standard dimensions
published for the boat class by US Sailing (
http://offshore.ussailing.org/phrf) “Critical dimensions” using 100% of the
foretriangle and 100% mainsail and mizzen sail area.

4. Each boat has to apply for this credit individually, and the committee
reserves the right to refuse the credit(s) to boats that they deem to be
more racing than cruising. (Refer to GYA-PHRF.com for a copy of the form)

5. Will notify the PHRF Committee of any changes made to the above items."

Touche's SA/DSPL is 20.0

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA