Mark,

A bit of a chain primer might shed some light on this.  Many boaters think
chain is just chain.

However, chain isn't just "chain".  Chain is designated by both size and
type.  Size can even be US or metric.

There are several different types of chain.  Chain can be designated BBB,
proof coil, G3, G4, G34, S4, HT (high test), transport, AlloyGr80,
AlloyGr100 and other types.  Some of these types are just different names
for the same chain. Each chain type has different dimensions, even for the
same size.  Different grades have different strengths.  For instance, 5/16
G4 is stronger than 3/8 BBB.

Also, windlass gypsies are made for certain size and type of chains.  They
don't like other chains.

Commonly, anchor chain is usually BBB, G34 or G4.  High end boats may use
S4.

So, you may have a chain different than what you think.  Go here:

<http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/index_chain.htm>

On the left you will see a link called "Reference" then a second link
called "Chain Data".  Selecting one of the chains may help you identify
which chain you have and then help you select a shackle.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA