Rob,  I just did it last weekend while I was changing the shift and throttle
cables.  I had to remove the brake so I could slide the chain all the way
forward to get the cables changed.  Re-installing the brake was easy by
comparison.  As Sylvain and others have mentioned, after removing the compass,
also remove the next layer of the pedestal to make access easier.  It's very
easy to put the pieces of the brake in - the wheel and shaft just screw into
the port brake piece.  I pulled a piece of twine through the eye of the cotter
pin so that if I dropped the pin while installing it, it would not disappear
down the pedestal.  Then just pull the twine out when the legs on the pin are
properly bent.  It all went fairly smoothly.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA