Barbara, after a lot of years and miles, I still have my moments when
docking a boat. A couple of useful tips: Slow is Pro: never use more
throttle or speed than you absolutely have to. There are some times where
you have to giver her some gas to get a desired effect, but those times are
rare. This rule is also sometimes stated as; "Never approach the dock
faster than you are prepared to hit it!"

Sometimes you've just made a complete hash of your docking maneuver. It
quickly becomes obvious that things aren't going to right. (this happened
to me last Wednesday with a boatload of clients and a couple of my peers).
Don't hesitate to get out of there and make another approach instead of
trying to salvage a bad one. no one (with any experience) will think worse
of you for hitting the "abort" button as many times as it takes.

Those who give you grief probably spend more time standing on the dock than
a boat.

Good luck! I remember the phone conversation with my rather nervous and
somewhat giggly wife as she informed me she had taken our new boat out for
the first time without me. She half suspected I'd be upset, instead I told
her that I couldn't be prouder and have encouraged her to be skipper as
often as possible.

Above all, have fun!

Andy
C&C 40