I've never owned an A4, but I grew up on gas powered fishing boats.  Most
of the problems we had (and there were many) were ignition related.  Bad
coils, points, distributors, wires, fouled plugs.  I'd look into the
electronic ignition module if compression were good.  My 2 cents.

Joel

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Robert Gallagher via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Here is my two cents.
>
> Engine issues will not simply go away by purchasing an outboard.
>  Outboards break down, it's a fact of life.
>
> On of the reasons I justified selling my 30MMKI with an A-4 was that the
> engine was the original, 1972, raw water cooled, soon to die, at the end of
> the line, it must be, it's old, it's only a matter of time....  Well, I
> made fast friends with the new owner, they kept the boat in the same yard
> and that engine is still running strong.
>
> Buying a fancy shmancy boat with a Yanmar (and a monthly payment to the
> bank) simply gave me more things to learn about.  Yes, the Yanmar is
> reliable.  Yes the Yanmar has needed some repairs and maintenance.
>
> Burt Stratton has given you some great advice.  Most of the things he has
> mentioned can be done with basic tools and a bit of hand-eye coordination.
>
> The coil problem you mentioned leads me to ask one question; Did you buy
> the coil Moyer recommends?  I had coil problems.  First I bought a cheap
> coil from NAPA, then i bought a better coil from NAPA.  I eventually
> purchased the exact coil from Moyer and that was the final coil I purchased.
>
> If you are keeping the boat and the engine does not have good compression
> or you have other reason to believe it's DOA, then, my advice is to
> seriously consider the "Moyer Option".
>
> Read the Moyer forums and learn as much about the engine as you can so you
> can service it yourself and learn to fix it yourself in a pinch.
>
> OR, buy an outboard and join some outboard forums so you can service and
> fix that outboard yourself while stranded out at sea with no wind.
>
> You have options;
> 1.  Hang off the stern cursing with bleeding knuckles while dropping tools
> into the water.
> 2.  Curse with bleeding knuckles down below in the shade practicing to be
> a carnival contortionist.
>
> Rob

Joel
301 541 8551