I got a laser-tach from Amazon for ~$20.  It came with reflective tape
which you cut to size.  I put a piece on the main pully and transmission
output shaft.  I used it to make sure of the accuracy of the installed tach
and verify the gear ratio.  Then I also used it to set the low idle speed.
Low idle has to be tweeked for accuracy when cold and hot.  Maybe it
changes, maybe not.
Various diesel additives are available but after searching the internet for
comparisons based on lubricity the product that stood out was made by
opti-lube.  Their original formulation, XPD, seems to work well for me.
The concentration is strong enough that you can actually smell the product
after it has been properly mixed.  By having the laser-tach I was actually
able to detect about 200rpm increase in speed while at idle and a
corresponding higher rpm while at full load.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD