Colregs rule 2b takes precedence over the racing rules of sailing in all cases,
you must take action to avoid a collision even if it means violating the rules.
It's the same rule for you Canadian guys, too.

That doesn't mean I've not pushed the racing rules a time or two. I've even
been so crass as to use the unwritten "tonnage rule" a few times to gain an
advantage. (Tonnage Rules. And there is nothing like a 38 foot boat with 79
pounds of steel out on the bow rollers to make a guy in a San Juan 21 show a
little respect.) but I try to know the RRS and what it says in the NOR and SIs
before I go out, even for fun races.

Jonathon, the RC screwed up in the SIs or NOR, and the roundings should have
been specified. Since they were not, I see three possible outcomes: 1) throw
out the race, 2) boats 1, 2, & 3 get redress, or 3) everyone else gets DNF. #1
seems the most equitable.

Rick Brass

Sent from my iPad