Soundproofing?

http://www.silentrunning.us/

http://www.silentrunning.us/Professional_Boat_Builder_SR_Article.pdf

Bill Bina

On 8/27/2014 2:42 AM, RPH via CnC-List wrote:
Update: Tonight I removed the sound insulation from the sides of the engine compartment. Let me tell you - it was a dirty mess. Surprisingly, it is possible for a substance to be both dusty and oily at the same time. On the bright side, after removing the old, crumbling insulation I was able to give the little Yanmar and the engine compartment a good cleaning. It looks 100% better now and I think it will be easier to keep the engine clean.

I can't report on the noise yet as I'm waiting on an exhaust elbow at the moment. Even if it's a little noisier under power, I think that it may be worth it just to have a little more room in the engine compartment (it's amazing what an extra couple of inches can give you in a cramped space) . On the other hand, if the racket proves to be intolerable, I'll report back with a warning to others who might be contemplating taking the same steps.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback.

Robert H.