It is a Hurth V Drive....with not quite 3,000 hours on it.  That's an average
of 100 hours per year....
I have had Alegria since 2006 (the engine had about 2,100 hours on it when
purchased)  and this is the first time I have ever seen any trans fluid.  It
appears to be a spray perpendicular to the drive shaft.  Not to much, but, a
concern.  It may only happen when the engine is running....I was running at
2800 RPM for 24 hours at one point.  The Westerbeke's top RPM is 3300...which I
can achieve, but, the stern really digs in and leaves a moustache on the
gelcoat.

Bob suggested new shaft seals.  I will get my mirror out and see if I can
locate the source.  He also suggested a Hurth rebuild every 1,500 hours.  If so
I am waaaay overdue...
Martin suggested oil cooler lines.....I have none that I know of...just the
Hurth bolted onto the engine.  No tubes.

So, maybe it is time for a rebuild and get the seals replaced.  I don't know of
many other C&C's with Westebeke 27 engines....so far it has been quiet,smooth,
and reliable...just a bit of exhaust soot on the gelcoat.  No smoking at all on
startup..or ever.

  Has anybody else had to rebuild the tranny and what are the symptoms of
pending doom?

> Wally Bryant via CnC-List wrote:
>You didn't say what kind of transmission.  That's important.
I really appreciate all of your support and the depth of the collective
experience. TIA!

Spencer Johnson

1984 LF38 "Alegria"

Racine, WI