Per the crowd view I disconnected the motor and turned things on and the
control heads and other instruments came up fine. Connection seemed fine
without corrosion. Put a meter to the motor lead and hit auto and then a
course change.  Volts came out and nothing popped. Reconnected the lead to
the motor. and engaged the autopilot and it responded appropriately.  Motor
seemed fine. So now the mystery deepens- moisture get in somewhere and short
things out and then dry out? Is this time related - after an hour or so
motor heats up and dies. Motor/ belt unit just binding in a bad spot and
after disconnecting letting sit etc. it is all better? Will not get a chance
to give it a real work out for a couple of weeks. Worrying to have it
randomly dying.  We often use it and a couple of times a year for hours
(think overnight from Key West). Guess we'll see.

Kim
TrustMe!!! 35-3

All,
The weekend's project is to trace down the dead autopilot. Looking for ideas
about likely suspects to prioritize the process. Standard Raymarine
Wheelpilot- X5? Been working great for years. Chugging up the river trying
to beat the rain last Sunday after a weekend out and it died. Actual symptom
is the breaker blew so the depth, wind, speed and auto went dark. After
getting back on course, had the Admiral flip the breaker and all the units
came back including right heading numbers on the auto pilot but engaging the
autopilot did nothing (not even a whimper out of the motor)  except blow the
breaker again. So we hand steered home and left the issue for another day.
Shorted wires, dead motor, or ?  Worked fine going out and halfway back. No
event- (wake, rain, course change) it just stopped. It was not working hard.
Anyone have any ideas on what voltages I should see where.  There is a
rudder position indicator in the mix. Looking for a 'Mine did that and it
Thanks
Kim Brown
TrustMe!!! 35-3