That's what I have done a couple of times. It works. I'll do it again this year.

Gary
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Knecht via CnC-List
  To: CnC CnC discussion list
  Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:46 AM
  Subject: Re: Stus-List Mast removal for winter?

  Reading these posts, I am considering a compromise that I have not done
before.  I usually leave my mast up and do not do anything special with
halyards.  But it seems an easy compromise would be to attach the halyard
shackles to some cheap nylon line and run them up until the shackle hits the
sheave and leave them like that.  That way most of the halyard is protected
from the sun/snow/wind etc. but you don’t have to hassle with messenger lines
and potentially losing a halyard.  Thoughts?  Dave

  On Sep 24, 2014, at 9:28 AM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List