From: "Chuck S via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "Us" <djmo...@bellsouth.net>, "CNC boat owners, cnc-list"
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:44:13 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Wife dosen't like it when the boat leans

Thanks for the suggestions. All good, but not for my girl.
Hiring a coach or taking a course won't change the fact that she doesn't like
that sailboats lean when powered up. She's just not interested in a sailing
course or coaching or changing. We're 60 and been together 30+ years. We've had
this boat for 12 years and she likes harbor cruises under power or anchoring
overnight, or all the social stuff at the dock or rafting up. My daughter is
the same. My son however is like me and took to sailing right off. He joined
his college's sailing team and loves racing with me. I've raced the boat
without my wife or daughter and won regattas with 1st time ever crew, so I
assure you I am fairly competent. I can calmly explain which line to put to
what winch and which way to turn it and never raise my voice except to be
heard. I've put newbies on the wheel and coached them to steer and they loved
steering. I've also taken guests who just wanted a ride, didn't want to do
anything and I just set the autohelm and do it all like I do when I'm alone. My
wife likes that style until it gets above 10 knots when the boat comes alive
and we start making 6 plus knots and heel to 25 degrees cause the apparent
becomes 16 and then we're doing 7.3 knots and lovin it, until she's almost
crying something like, "do you have to make it lean so much? Let's find a place
to go swimming."

She's missing the sailing gene, but I can't change her and she has no desire to
take a course or let me hire a coach. I guess I'll run our boat like a trawler
when she's aboard, and save the sailing for when she's not there. I'm gonna
order that tow toy.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R