Well, I was insulting the Yanmar starter button without enough data.... it
turned out that one of the starter solenoid wire spade clips was 99% off of
the solenoid metal spade, only held on by the plastic sheath, maybe making
metal to metal contact once in a while. Hard to see but easy to detect
tracing voltage drop. Crimping it a little so it takes a firm "bite" and
attaching it again, solved the starting issue.

Thanks as always to a great list,

Nate
"Sarah Jean"
1980 30-1