Hi David,

Sounds like a good trip! Did you see the other 38-III listing in Seattle: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/C%26C-38-MK-III-2690440/Seattle/WA/United-States

Here's the datasheet for comparison. Let me know if you are interested, and would like to see the boat.

Thanks, Lee
PS we live on a much smaller 74 35-II, with lots of sailing pics at http://www.leeyoungbloodphoto.com/personal.html

We are making a trip to Vancouver Island this weekend, mostly just a romantic weekend away but we are going to have a look at a boat or 2 while we're there. Just a hands on research exercise, I dont see us being really serious about commuting to the coast right now but in the next few years it will happen. More of a pass the eyeball test for me and my wife of course. I want a boat that can sail and be comfortable, basically what C&C was known for. My wife wants comfort first and sailing ability about last on the list right now.

One of them is a 1987 38MK3 in Victoria. I have always liked the look of this model and it seems like the one we are going to see was reasonably cared for. I know there are several owners of MK2 on here I haven't noticed a lot of 3's. They have essentially the same layout but I know the hulls are different. What are some general impressions of this model. Maybe of this boat we are going to see in particular.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2529851&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=yachtsaleswest&&ywo=yachtsaleswest&;

The other one is a 1980 40 foot. I know from recent list activity this model is well respected, both for build quality and sailing ability.

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats/1980/C&C-40-2618617/Gabriola-Island/Canada

Both boats has been for sale for a while, the 40 longer. Other than possibly being wet and of course the age, is there anything else that stands out to anyone why these boats don't sell. One thing that stands out to me is engine hours, although I admit I don't really know how long a diesel should last. The 38 has old and/or no electronics, which isn't the end of the world, especially if they are old and need to go anyway. Both models of course have by today's standards antiquated interior layout, which I think makes them less than desirable to the majority of people. Tankage or lack thereof also an issue.

I hold the belief everything sells when presented at the right price point, either dictated by market or condition. My goal here is evaluate the model in person and try to learn what is causing these to "hang around", or any boat for that matter.

We also like the 37+ but none in the vicinity of this trip.

Thanks for any input.

David Donnelly
C&C 26 Mistress

Sent with AquaMail for Android