David,

The primary reason rod rigging was developed was to reduce weight,
particularly weight aloft.  Rod rigging is  also supposed to reduce windage
(not likely that one would notice) and is stronger pound for pound.  The
heads and spreader intersections are the weak links on rod rigs.
Identifying the stress cracks that will likely be the failure mechanism is
difficult so a replacement or re-head is probably the most likely outcome.
Also bear in mind that a rig inspection covers all types of good things not
related to the stays and shrouds.

Most riggers will tell you that the whole rig needs inspected at least very
10 years regardless of whether it is wire, dyform, or rod.  Not that that
is bad advice but there are many many rigs on the water today that are over
20 years old and have never been inspected.  Many of those will go another
20 years without an inspection and be just fine.

For me a bigger concern over rod rigging is the wire headstay that is
likely to be found under the furler.  It is almost impossible to inspect
and is subject to the most stress (flex and twist).  Unlike the shrouds
there is also no partner to act as a backup.

I would bet my money on the rod lasting longer and being safer and
stronger.  IMHO buying a boat with rod rigging is an advantage not a
disadvantage.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+