I wonder if your pits were from not using it and then oxidation or
electrolysis cause carbon material to deteriorate.  The more you use it the
better the seal is as the carbon polishes itself out.  I had leakage when my
prop coupling was badly miss-aligned but once I fixed that, leakage went
away.  Don't forget to replace set screws every time you loosen them. I
installed mine new in 2004.  Had it out on 4-5 occasions at which time I
would soak everything in a tupperware container with WD40 for few days then
wipe it clean.

Then I read this article.
http://www.passagemaker.com/articles/technical/running-gear/dripless-shaft-s
eals/

And I realized that I was probably lucky that I never had a problem.  I am
due for whatever overhaul kit comes for it.  They don't specify the size and
thread on the set screw.  I have ordered a 25 pack from mcmaster 5/16"-18 in
316SS, with a point set.  I am yet to see how they fit.

Petar Horvatic
Sundowner
76 C&C 38MkII
Newport, RI