  From: Bill Bina via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 2:58 PM
  Subject: Re: Stus-List Running Lights > Elf

  Elf is very much around. A few years ago, I escorted her through dense fog on
her way to Mystic Seaport for the wooden boat show because I had RADAR and she
did not. I am not aware of the incident you mention, but we would have to know
the details to draw any conclusions about WHY she might have lost the case. A
kerosene lantern used as an anchor light is perfectly legal (annex 1 section 11
of international colregs) unless there is something more to the story. I can
tell you that seeing all of Elf in the dark, regardless of anchor light, would
be a challenge. She is about 35 feet on deck, but the boom hangs far over the
stern, and she has a VERY long bowsprit. LOD is about 35 feet, and LOA is...
about 70 feet!

  http://www.cyrg.org/images/graphics/ELFmorph-2.gif

  Bill Bina