For whatever it is worth, here is my list:

- change oil
- change oil filter
- change (check?) fuel filters
- change transmission oil
- clean and drain the strainer on the fresh water cooling intake
- drain the fresh water side of the cooling system and replace with RV
antifreeze (EG or PG?) paying extra attention to the Aqua-Lift muffler
- drain fresh water tank
- drain water heater
- prep all hoses in the fresh water system for winter (either blow them with
air pressure or put antifreeze in (or both)).
- pump out the holding tank
- pump antifreeze through the head
- stabilise fuel in the fuel tank (add stabiliser and potentially some
antibacterial agent)
- run some antifreeze through all of your bilge pumps (including the manual one)

I recently installed a bypass for the water heater and I ask myself, why I did
not do it any sooner. It saves a lot of time and plenty of antifreeze.

For winterising the water system, I run the tank dry, then blow the water out
(with an air compressor; you need a $7 fitting that you can buy at any RV store
or Canadian Tire) – make sure you blow it out of ALL faucets (cold and hot),
drain the water heater (it is 25 l (6 gal) – it takes a while), pump AF through
the system (again through ALL faucets). Here is where the heater bypass helps –
if you have one, you don’t need to fill the water heater with AF (25 l of it!).
If you are a belt and suspender kind of guy, you can now blow the antifreeze
out of the water system; I do. This way if there are any low spots, dead legs
etc. in your water system, they are now filled with the AF, not the water, but
most of the system is empty.

Some people, even here (in Ottawa) leave their masts up (very few). There might
be issues with the rigging when it gets really cold. The shrouds and stays
would shrink, so you may want to loosen them a bit. There are also some
discussions about water getting into some fittings and freezing there.

Have fun

Marek
s/v “Legato” (on the hard, fully winterised)
in Ottawa