  From: Dan via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:47 AM
  Subject: Stus-List New Sailor Intro and Questions

  I’m relatively new to sailing boats though I have been to a school using 14’
Holders, then 21’ day sailors, wind surfing (lake boards) and 30+ years of hang
gliding.  I currently own 2 sailboats, a 1976 23’ Ericson and a 1977 26’ C&C
(my favorite).  I’ve owned the Ericson about a year and the C&C 4 months.  The
C&C is in excellent shape, has all the goodies and more sails than I know what
to do with right now. The Yanmar will come out this winter (working on how to
remove) so I can overhaul; it was overheating when I bought the vessel, got a
very good deal on the boat.  I toyed with the idea of hanging a 15HP Yamaha on
the stern but would rather not drill holes in her plus I have all the
maintenance manuals for the Yanmar and I’m a mechanic. Sorry babbling.

  Sailing the C&C @ 30 miles from her old mooring to new digs was a blast, she
sails easily and I can’t wait to get her out this coming spring.  I’ll sail the
Ericson over the winter here (Pacific Northwest) while I work on the Yanmar.

  I do have a couple questions if I may:

    a.. I have a small water leak on both the port and starboard sides aft are
of the cabin, suspect coming from the rails that run the length of the boat - I
know there is a name for them but it escapes me.  I’m wondering if I can just
re-seal the length of the rails until spring, removing them at this point and
replacing the seals isn’t an option at this point.  What sealant would work
best?
    b.. Can I use the boom (protected of course) to winch the engine - weight
under 200 lbs during the removal?  I can’t imagine trying to lift it out using
just manpower - is there a “standard” for removing engines?  My idea is to use
the boom protected of course and maybe set it up so the load is distributed
over a wide area and a winch.  I don’t want to damage the boom but don’t know
any other way of getting the engine out.
  Thanks for reading my dribble.. looking forward to learning all about sailing
the C&C and eventually moving up to a 30+ foot boat, buy that is way down the
road.

  Regards,

  Dan
  Brownsville Marina, Bremerton, WA