Dan,

Welcome to the fraternity of C&C owners.

If you need to help your diesel start, WD-40 is safer than ether as a starting
fluid.  Also, heating the intake area with a space heater or heat gun will help
a cold, reluctant diesel engine fire up.

The black blob may have been un-burnt fuel / soot. Poorly combusted fuel will
look whitish.  Combusted coolant (antifreeze) will also look whitish and smell
sweet.  You are correct that lube oil will look blue.

If the engine was very cold and had not been run in a while I agree with the
plan to run under load for 30 minutes.  When a diesel engine is reluctant to
fire a lack of compression, air in the fuel system, a slow rate of turn-over by
the starter, or being very cold would be my list of usual suspects.  Be sure to
look closely at the lube oil dipstick to be sure there is not coolant in the
lube oil.  If your engine has a lack of compression and a hint of burning
coolant or leaking coolant into the lube oil the head gasket and or a cracked
head would be next on my list.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43