Burt,

Re: diving to clean and change zincs

I have been doing my own underwater maintenance for over 35 years.  I mostly
enjoy the process but am coming from having some commercial dive training and
building up experience when I was younger and more tolerant of adverse
conditions.

If you decide to get certified and begin changing zincs and wear glasses,
explore options to have your correction built into your face mask.  As my eyes
aged it has become more difficult to focus on the zinc fasteners (including the
MAX prop zinc).  In the murky waters of our PNW marina I often need to work
very close to the prop and use a dive light.

If you plan on cleaning the hull, be ready for some hard exercise as it is a
full body workout to stay close to the hull and apply a little pressure to the
cleaning pad/brush.

As a bonus, when you become proficient at diving you are able to clear crab
pots from your own prop possibly changing a problem into a trip saving
adventure.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43