I recommend contacting PYI, Inc. and asking for assistance.  Be sure to have
your MAX prop owner's manual or obtain another from PYI (often downloadable
from their web site).  The manual will have a chart to indicate what the prop
is set at now and which way to go to reduce pitch.

I have changed the pitch several times on Calypso's 3 blade MAX prop. It is
easy to do when hauled out.  The hard part is getting it just right.  The guys
at PYI will be able to give a good starting point after you tell them what
engine and reduction gear you have.

After intentially over pitching Calypso's prop by 10% for 10 years (for longer
trips in calmer PNW waters) I "downshifted" to 10% under pitched to be sure our
Perkins 4-108 could reach max RPM when motoring into wind and waves.  We were
planning a trip around Vancouver Island.  The conditions on the west side of
the island can be boisterous and I wanted the extra safety factor of being able
to power into offshore wind and wave.

I have not noticed any increase in fuel consumption at normal cruising speed
but the engine is spinning faster if I push towards hull speed.  The lower
pitch accomplished what I wanted in regards to powering into bigger wind and
seas.

Martin

Calypso

1971 C&C 43