James
that sounds like tough way to get anywhere, and break something in a
process.  I had A4 for about 10 years on the same boat '76 38.  Switched to
westerbeke 40 in 2012.   I don't see a great amount of increased power when
going to wind between A4 to W40.  As you said, power comes from the sail.
But in calm conditions I do get better speed over water, perhaps my
prop(15/9 3 blade fixed)  is better suited for W40. I was hoping for a
greater increase in power in all conditions which is just not the case.
These bots are just not meant to motor into heavy seas.  One difference is
that with A4, i was always in the engine room.  Something always needed
tinkering...coil, carb, cables, sparkplugs, antifreeze leaks...etc, etc.
always something.  With a diesel, i don't really have to do anything
besides change 3 filters twice a year.  I believe they are just built
better.  And i was a big fan of A4.  Rebuilt two of them on two different
boats.   The only thing i wish now is that i had done the re-power sooner.
And in terms of expense, I bought a used w40 with hurth tranny for $1000.
Machining and complete rebuild kit were about another $2500. Put it all
together and with the help of few friends hoisted it using the mast and
boom while the boat was out of the water.  Kept all engine instruments,
even the RPM meter which i had to do a bit of electronic re-work and
calibration to make it work. Kept the tank, but changed fuel hoses and
filters.   Changed exhaust to 2".  And i invested in nice isolation mounts
and engine controls.  A lot of DIY but very reasonable in terms of cost.
Very very glad i did this.

Petar
S.V. Sundowner
1976 C&C 38 mk2