  From: Al Serrato via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 8:59 PM
  Subject: Stus-List Fresh water flush of engine

  I have a 1981 '34 with a Yanmar 3GMD engine with seawater cooling.  A
mechanic recommended that I install a t-valve for the raw water intake so I can
flush the engine with fresh water occasionally. The engine appears to be in
good condition and runs well in the two years I have owned the boat but I
suspect that it is the original, making it 33 years old.

  While this makes sense, I'm wondering whether it's necessary at this point,
given the age of the engine. in other words, is the damage already do
Everything? Also, I'm wondering what the long term effect of seawater cooling
is and what failures or problems result from the seawater over long periods of
time. What is the likely useful life of a marine Yanmar diesel?

  Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

  Al Serrato
  Fidelity
  1981 C & C 34