I checked with our local CBYRA handicapper. Chesapeake Bay rates asyms more by sail area than any other single criteria. The other adjustment area is whether the sail can be adjusted....

From some local racers: we have three Cal 40s's here on the mid-Eastern
Shore. All three do off-shore racing (Newport to Bermuda, etc.) and do quite well (second last year, fourth in 2000, etc.) They got dinged 3 seconds when they added an asym to their inventory, because they have the capability of flying it on their pole.

The usual rule is: if they have an asym on a short fixed pole or flying from the bow, and it isn't a bunch bigger than their normal spinnaker dimensions, then the penalty may be 0 or 3-6 seconds depending on sail area.

A local C&C 115 with a longer than normal pole also gets 3 seconds. He flies his asym from the pole, so can bring it back when sailing downwind.

Any other situations (like the IMX40 which added a carbon extendable pole which goes out about 8-10 feet) get treated individually.

Gary

LMPHRF, our local handicap governing body, is making adjustments to the
credit and penalties of handicaps for displacement hull boats that fly
asyms, with and without the addition of sprits.

I'm interested in what other regions are using for regs, amount of
participation, and observations of performance changes.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

at: