I received our C&C 43-1 digital drawings this week and had a chance to give
them a good look over. We purchase a little over 20 drawings, both the digital
and printed copies.  The printed full size copies are should be delivered in a
week or so.

The purchase was worth every penny.  On the keel drawings are hand written
notes listing the actual weights of the first 3 castings of both the iron and
lead parts.  Also, the keel drawing shows all the bolt locations including some
between the lead and iron parts that I had not found (they are buried inside
the keel assembly).

Calypso's mast and fittings are all custom (the fittings are overbuilt,
fabricated SS).  The drawing package included dimensioned drawings for most of
the fittings and the spreaders. If the mast ever get damaged we now have an
excellent starting point for the repair.  We also got the original chain plate
drawings.  I found some additional drawing numbers relating to the spars and
have requested them from the museum.

As Calypso is hull #1 of the custom 43 series many of the hull build drawings
have additional notes regarding fiberglass lay-up details that I was not aware
of including extra lay-up in high stress areas and where the balsa starts and
ends.  Along with the "as built" type drawings are the early 1970 conceptual
deck and interior drawings used to sell the project to the first buyer.  It is
interesting to see how the design changed from the early marketing to actual
build.

The rudder drawings include the first rudder and rudder bearing assemblies
which show the rudder's stock details and the massive bronze casting that makes
up the lower rudder bearing assembly.  I also have the drawing of Calypso's 2nd
rudder which is deeper with additional inner SS structure.

The icing on the cake for me is the drawings that show the transom
modifications performed in late 1973.  It is a relief to know that the original
C&C design team engineered the change including how much additional lay-up was
needed to maintain structural integrity.  This drawing will be very useful if
we decide to restore the original transom shape.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle