As I said - pick a percentage and wait for the squawking.

In our Herring Island fleet, we use the Annapolis to St. Michaels race as one
of our long distance races. Depending on club entrants for that race, we can
have boats in multiple PHRF classes ranging from PHRF A2 through PHRF C/D.
Plus, we could have someone running in a one design class (J-30, Triton, etc.)
- and we have two different course lengths, depending on class - they usually
have about 15 starts.

We use our 15% NS adjustment - the only problem is we cannot use our 7.5%
cruising chute adjustment, because the PHRF rules don't allow that, they dump
them into Spin. We have had high finishing boats come from both Spin and NS
classes (cruising) and from just about every PHRF group.

This past year, we didn't have any NS boats and everybody was grouped in PHRF
classes which ran the long course (21 miles), so it was easy. In the past, it
hasn't been, but more depends on what the wind is doing and where the currents
are headed than any other single criteria.

There is no perfect answer, so just choose something.

For me, 15% is better than a fixed number of seconds per mile, because of the
wide range of PHRF's in our fleet. And, because the course has multiple legs in
different directions, the good reaching boats may come out better or not
depending on wind. (A Bermuda 40 yawl with a mizzen staysail is a good reacher,
as is a J-80 if the wind is right, but if the wind is skewed by 20 degrees,
neither does that well).

Good Luck.

Gary in St. Michaels - on the 80 for this one.