Joe;

Let me start by saying that I am a fan of BIG anchors and lots of chain. My
current setup on my 38 is intended for long tern cruising: two anchors on
the bow roller (a 44 lb Bruce and a 35 lb CQR) each with 65 feet of chain
and 250 ft of nylon rode. I commonly anchor in 10 feet of water or less,
which lets me anchor with essentially all chain and about an additional 10
feet of nylon let out to act as a snubber if the wind comes up. The Bruce is
my main anchor and the CQR is a backup. As I get older, I really appreciate
the windlass I installed to handle these anchors. As much as I like BIG
anchors, they can be a real PITA to retrieve by hand.

That said, when I was day sailing and weekend cruising, as you describe,
with stops for lunch or swimming and nights in local protected coves, my
only anchor was the 35 CQR with 35 feet of chain and 200 feet of nylon. So
your proposed arrangement should be OK  for that limited purpose. If you
range more widely and start to run into more adverse  conditions, you should
think about upgrading the ground tackle.

An old USCG Master Chief once taught me that the rule of thumb is 1 pound of
anchor and 1 foot of chain for each foot of boat length. That's for normal
anchoring and not for a storm anchor.

The charts you have seen are probably for boats anchored with 7:1 scope in
up to 30 MPH winds. If you expect storm conditions - even passing
thunderstorms - you might be better served to go up a size. And which anchor
you chose will depend on the bottom where you are anchoring. A Danforth is
great in sand, rotten in shell or soft mud. A plow or Bruce is best for mud
or weeds. A Rocna or Manston costs a lot of boat bucks, but you can sleep
well at night because those anchors dig in, stay, and reset if broken loose.

Washington harbor is soupy mud with wind driven tides and currents that
change direction at least daily. The boats with plows and lots of chain tend
to stay where they are left. And every month couple of months  Sea Tow is
pulling some dufus with a 15 pound Danforth and 6 feet of chain off the
railroad trestle, the Hwy 17 bridge, or the island in the middle of the
harbor.

Now all of this isn't really answering your question. I'd suggest you talk
to some of the older sailors at your marina or club who are familiar with
the local conditions. Ask what they use, and where there are problem
anchorages. And use their input to make your final decision.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC