I have an m710 which I used on ham frequencies to hook up to winlink
stations via pactor III and get grib file and email.  My tuner is AT-130.
My antenna is an insulated backstay.  My counterpoise was an overkill.  I
glassed in 100' of 6" wide copper tape along the inside of the hull.  In
the lazarette, and as many compartments as feasible.  I bonded it to all
other metal like toerail, stanchions, etc, and setup few capacitors to
bridge the copper foil to the keelbolt.  While cruising in the carribean, I
was connectig to stations as far as  Ohio, Nova Scotia and Panama.  I
haven't used the setup in a while as I'm mostly bound to coastal new
England.