Help!

I have a C&C 35-3 with a centerboard.  Last week we grounded on a sandbank
(pretty gentle grounding actually) and the centreboard channel tube
started to leak  a little at the elbow (I don't really know what this is
called, but it is the tube in the cabin that goes from the deck straight
down to the keel in which the centreboard cable  is housed).   I've had
the boat hauled to make the repair - but I can't seem to get the darn
thing out.

I have removed the bolts at the deck that connect the topside pulley
through the hull to the channel tube in the cabin and I have undone the 4
nuts at the bottom that connect the tube to the hull at the keel (there
are plates welded to the channel tube at the top and bottom for
attachment).  I have spent a pile of hours working at the bedding compound
beneath the tube to try and free it but no joy.

Does anyone have any idea of how this thing attaches?  Do I need to drop
the keel in order to remove it or is the bedding compound just really
tenacious?   Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Phil