Racing C&C 40s back when they were new, in the late 70s/early 80s, we used
running backstays. They were used to do two things; stop the mast overbending
when you had a lot of permanent backstay on and to stop the mast pumping when
beating into a lumpy sea.
These days, another use for running backstays on many cruiser/racers (like
Swans) is to tension an inner forestay on which a staysail is set.
As an aside, what we always refer to as check stays is a second set of runners
attached lower on the mast, usually on race boats with less...robust...rigs
than ours. These again are mostly used to adjust the bend in the mast as the
permanent backstay is tightened. The runners and checks control the shape of
the main; it's not uncommon to "invert" the main if you don't have enough
tension on the runners and checks when you max out the permanent.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine

Andrew Burton