>… use a tupperware box sealed on around it..

I did this when installing a Lewmar Ocean 2 windlass on Calypso’s foredeck
approx. 6’ back from the stem.  I do recommend cutting some drain and
ventilation holes in the Tupperware box to prevent trapping salt water in and
around the motor/gearbox.  On Calypso’s installation salt water drips off the
chain/rode and can splash around the motor/gear box area.  The hawse pipe
(approx. 4” fiberglass tube) is not long enough to prevent all the splash near
the motor even with the Tupperware in place.

With Calypso’s 24K lb. displacement increasing the risk of deck damage from
anchor handling loads we added a fiberglass beam under the windlass and an
additional bulkhead at the forward end of the anchor locker.  The additional
structure prevents that long section of deck from distorting under full
windlass load.  Calypso was built as a full race boat (1969/70 style) with no
consideration for cruising style anchoring gear.

We converted the empty space forward of the fo’c'sle (v-berth/sail stowage
area) into a deep anchor locker and fender storage space.  The conversion
included cutting out a section the deck for an access hatch approx. 3’ long by
a tapered 2’ to 1’ wide.  As part of the ongoing deck restoration project I
have custom fabricated a gutter to help prevent water on the foredeck from
dripping into the anchor locker.  I should have done this back when the
conversion was first done (1999) but I thought weather stripping would be
sufficient.  It was not.

After 14 years of use the windlass motor/gear box needs repainting and the some
of the wiring requires replacement owing to the corrosive environment.  I am
satisfied with the Lewmar windlass and its performance.  When cruising we use
90’ of chain, 300’ of rode on a 65lb. CQR main anchor.  We do have the windlass
model with a drum for line handling which has been used for hoisting me up the
mast but not much else.  The drum does add extra height which is less desirable
when racing but useful when sailing shorthanded on a heavy displacement boat.

For the bow roller we went with a custom fabrication, 2 rollers mounted in a SS
frame (3 vertical plates welded to the base plate, all polished to look like
chrome) bolted through the stem fitting including a plate that runs down the
stem for 2 or 3 bolts and aft along the hull to deck joint 3 to 4 bolts.  I did
remove some of the toe rail’s vertical structure leaving the horizontal
aluminum as support underneath the roller’s base plate.  Calypso’s (along with
the other 43’s) stem fitting is different than most C&C production models and
is not a cast aluminum fitting but was a compact SS structure.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle