From: Bill Coleman via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 11:22 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Bill Coleman
Subject: Re: Stus-List Off topic Windows 10

Or this,

More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft’s Windows 10 after
its global launch on Wednesday, but it’s unclear how many of their users read
the company’s Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked
away in the 45 pages’ worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a
substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do
while using its new software.

>From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company
>saves customers’ basic information—name, contact details, passwords,
>demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.

Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and
conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of
private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including
features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders.
Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected,” the Privacy
Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft
says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user
dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character
recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”

All this information doesn’t necessarily remain with just Microsoft. The
company says it uses the data collected for three purposes: to provide and
improve its services; to send customers personalized promotions; and to display
targeted advertising, which sometimes requires the information be shared with
third parties. Microsoft mentions that though it assigns each customer a unique
advertising ID, which is fed data during computer usage, it “does not use what
you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or
other personal files to target ads to you.” It makes no such promise for its
other stated data collection purposes.

Bill Coleman

My take on Windows: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/qMXpyxW2lkk/hqdefault.jpg

All the best,