David,

Sounds like your ignition circuit has been modified. As another lister said,
the glow plug button activates the fuel pump and glow plugs and silences the
oil pressure alarm. Pushing the start button without pushing the glow plug
button should not activate the starter.  I just tried it on my Universal to be
sure.

Second, I wonder about the condition of your battery.  It might be weak.

Third, as stated in earlier replies, voltage is not a good indicator of a
circuits ability to pass current.

Dennis C.
Touché 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA