AZURA
C&C 32 -84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2015-08-10 9:35 PM, Rick Brass via CnC-List wrote:

I hate to sound like the Grinch, and I just know that I am going to, but…

I don’t know what engine you have (presume it is a Yanmar), and I know that most of us ignore the proper procedure from time to time, but I can virtually guarantee that your owner’s manual calls for you to check the oil level before you start the engine each time. I ignore proper procedure myself; my typical practice is to not check if I will be motoring for 15 or 20 minutes but to always check before and after any periods when I run the engine for an hour or more. And I check the engine oil and coolant on OPB’s I am delivering and on charters every morning before the client gets up.

And “the middle of the safe zone” is really a low oil situation. Your dipstick is most likely in the back end of the oil pan and the engine is installed at a 10 to 15 degree slant. “Middle of the safe range” might be as low as a quart of oil. When I fill my Universal with the required 3 ½ quarts of oil during an oil change, the oil level is above the top mark on the dipstick by a significant margin. Think of the marks as: Top – OK, full; Bottom – shut down the engine; and In Between – add oil.

The possibility of a lower than optimal oil level, combined with the long run at high RPMs and an older engine would seem to make the earlier suggestion that the oil was not circulating back to the oil pan sufficiently to keep the oil pressure above the alarm level a fairly plausible explanation of the behavior you described. I suspect the behavior you report for the alarm and light is another manifestation of the wiring problems typical of Yanmar panels.

You report 40 or so hours of engine use in the last 20 days. If use has been like this since May, you are due for an oil change about now anyway (I can’t recall if a Yanmar is every 50 hours or every 100). I’d change the oil and filter, being sure to fully top off the oil, and look at the wiring harness to identify the corrosion or loose connection causing the erratic operation of the alarm. Then see if the situation reappears in the future

Rick Brass

Washington, NC

Formerly Yanmar and Cummins certified technician and trainer for a forklift manufacturer