Diesel engines can runaway using lube oil as fuel but it is more likely on
engines with turbo chargers.  The lube oil can leak through the turbo's bearing
seals.  Back when I was completing my merchant marine training, the engineering
instructor showed a video of a 6-71 running away to destruction.

If you are ever faced with a diesel that will not shut down, the recommended
response is to stave it for air by blocking the intake.  Never use your hand.
Less combustible materials that are handy in most boats will work.  In a pinch
use your wife's foul weather gear.

It a great idea not to over fill the crankcase both for the runaway issue but
also to reduce lube oil leakage, especially on older engines.  For Calypso's
Perkins I noticed and increase in oil leaks when I switched to a higher
detergent oil and had a full crankcase.  The leakage was less as the level
dropped then went back to normal when I went back to Delo 100, a lower
detergent oil.

Martin

Calypso

1971 C&C 43