You are correct, Garry, it is electricity 101. And the calculations are in line
with the principals taught in electricity 101.

As a matter of practicality, it does not matter what the current associated
with the 8 volt reading is. The engine starts when you push the start button.

Any good solenoid will pull in with somewhere near 1 amp. No I have not tried
to look up the spec for pull in voltage for the particular solenoid on a
Universal diesel. If you put six amps across the solenoid, that is 5 more than
you should need. No harm, no foul, unless the current flow is high enough to
overheat and burn out the coil in the solenoid. I presume whoever engineered
the starter put in some internal resistance to limit the current to a safe
level. And that the person who selected the starter for this engine at
Westerbeke/Universal took the current flow into account when designing the
panel and wiring harness.

Also as a matter of practicality it is not possible to measure the voltage drop
across the solenoid alone, since it is an integral part of the starter.
Measuring the voltage drop between the solenoid connection on the starter and
ground includes the voltage losses associated with the rest of the structure
that were listed in my earlier post.

Also see the comments I made about the system voltage (between B+ and ground)
dropping below 10.5v when the starter is engaged and there are 200 amps (+ or
-) flowing from the start battery through the starter. Sort of makes the
calculations at 12v with only a theoretical resistance of the solenoid coil
moot.

Remember the original question was not “Why does my engine not start?”. It was
“Why is my panel wiring different from what is shown in the wiring diagram and
the starting procedure different than that shown in the owner’s manual?”