OK,
We all know C&C's are the prettiest boats on the water. My 44 has been
called the "prettiest boat on the lake" by many people not including me :)
 or C&C owners. :)
I would like to re-ask Don's original questions about the 40 Aft Cabin. I
went with Don to look at this boat hoping to add to the number of great
sailing/great looking boats at our marina. The question is really about the
aft cabin version of the 40, not the traditional layout. I believe the aft
cabin version was only offered in the last year of production.
We have a 44 and one of the best features of the boat is the aft cabin with
a bridge deck high enough that you can walk around the entire back of the
boat and through the head. Because of the bridgedeck we have a very large
dodger that creates a wonderful spot to hang out in bad weather and yet
still allows for sailing the boat properly with good access to line
stoppers and winches. (Obviously our primary focus on this boat is
cruising, albeit quickly). We also have 370W of solar power mounted on the
dodger and no-one even knows it's there.

The 40 aft cabin layout on paper looks like it takes the interior of the
40,  adds a separate aft cabin area but with some compromises.

The compromises in my mind are:
-the companionway stairs are 7 ft long and quite steep and the hatch
opening is small, this opening sits at the end of a deep and narrow bridge
deck
-because the bridge deck is very deep and narrow it makes it more difficult
to build a functional dodger. In addition the boom is much lower on the 40
so there really isn't an opportunity to build a dodger tall enough to
comfortably make it through the narrow/deep bridge deck. Has anyone solved
this by moving the gooseneck higher up the mast and raising the boom with
possible modifications to sail shape?
-the engine is no longer under the companionway stairs but pushed way back
under the cockpit sole, mounted backwards and drives a V-drive transmission
like the LF 38. How do owners find the access to maintain the
engine/drive/shaft seal etc?

Any answers to these questions from people with experience with this boat
would be much appreciated.
Jon

C&C 44
Mor' Childs Play