I do it exactly as Dwight described.  It's not always easy breaking the
30#  bruce claw anchor loose since we back down on it pretty hard.  As
Dwight stated after taking most of the rode up you can cleat or chain
stopper (or screwdriver in a link) and power forward gently.  Without a
deck wash down i just keep a 2.5gal bucket w/rope and scrub brush ready.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD